Financial Aid

  • The purpose of Financial aid is to provide monetary assistance to qualified students. The majority of our students receive some type of financial aid through grants, scholarships and loans. Financial aid is available through a variety of sources for  students enrolled in career development programs. Aid may cover tuition, books, transportation and child care. Each source has its own guidelines concerning eligibility and filing deadlines.

    For more information, our Financial Aid Advisors Dave Novelli and Jim Romano can help you navigate through the world of PELL Grants and various other programs available. They can be contacted at 330-438-2556, ext. 105.


    Click to view CARES: Coronavirus Aid, Releife and Economic Security Act: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund - CARES  

    PELL Grants: This is a federal grant provided through Title IV of the U.S. Department of Education's Higher Education Act. It is awarded on the basis of your previous years income. This grant applies to most 600+ hour programs. Applicants should apply at least two months prior to enrollment. You must first fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form in order to determine your financial aid eligibility. Go to Our school code is 015029 and the name of our school is Canton City Schools Adult Career & Technical Education/Community Educational Services. A high school diploma, GED, or ability to benefit is required.

    Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation: BVR provides funding for individuals with disabilities. Call the Canton office (330-438-0500) to see if you qualify.

    The Clery Act: This act requires that all postsecondary institutions participating in title IV student financial assistance programs disclose campus crime statistics and other security information to students and the public. The VAWA amendments added requirements that institutions disclose statistics,  policies and programs related to dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking,  among other changes. This information has been compiled and can be viewed in our ANNUAL SECURITY REPORT. To view Clery Act/Federal Register rules and regulations, click here. Employer Sponsored Funding: Check with your employer to see if your organization has employee funding or a reimbursement program.

    Workforce Investment & Opportunity Act (WIOA): Provides funding for underemployed, single parents, economically disadvantaged, dislocated workers and other special needs individuals. Call your area Ohio Means Jobs office or County Jobs and Family Services to see if you qualify:

    Ohio Means Jobs Stark County...........................................................330.433.9675

    Stark County Jobs and Family Services .............................................330.452.4661

    TAA/TRA/NAFTA: This funding is available to dislocated workers to pursue training. Contact Ohio Means Jobs Stark County 330.433.9675.

    Student Loans: These loans are for tuition and expenses with extended repayment terms available.

    Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4): Federal student aid recipients who withdraw from Canton City School District Adult Community Education programs prior to completion are subject to the Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) policy. This policy calculates how much Title IV aid the recipient has earned for the period that he/she was enrolled in class.  Canton City School Adult Community Education Center will determine the earned and unearned Title IV aid a student has, as of the date the student last attended school or in the case of a clock hour program, up through the 60% point in each payment period (PP) or period of enrollment (POE). 

    Order of Return of Student Financial Aid Program Funds

    Funds that are required to be returned to the U.S. Department of Education must be returned in the   following order:

    • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
    • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
    • Federal PLUS Loan
    • Pell Grant

    The student will be responsible for any outstanding balance that Title IV (financial aid) funding did not cover. Upon request, worksheets used to determine the amount of refund or Return of Title IV aid are available in the Student Services Office.

    If a student withdraws from Canton City School Adult Community Education Center, the student may be required to return a portion of the federal funds awarded. The student may also be eligible for a refund of a portion of the tuition, books or fees paid to Canton City School District Adult Career Center for the billing period.

    Canton City School District Refund Policy exists for calculating the refund of institutional charges. The Federal “Return of Title IV Financial Aid Funds” formula dictates the amount of Federal Title IV Financial Aid that must be returned to the federal government by the school and/or the student. The federal formula is applicable to a student receiving Federal Aid if that student withdraws on or before the 60% point in the billing period.

    The percentage of the Title IV Financial Aid to be returned is equal to the number of clock hours attended in the billing period divided by the number of hours that were scheduled. For example, if a student has completed 30% of the billing period they have earned 30% of their financial aid. However, once a student has completed 60% of the hours in a billing period, 100% of the financial aid awarded that billing period will have been earned.

    NOTE: If financial aid funds have been released to a student because of a credit balance on the student’s account, then the student may be required to repay some of the aid if the student withdraws.

    • The Financial Aid Department completes the “Treatment of When A Student Withdraws From Clock Hour Program Worksheet.”  This worksheet determines what is owed to the school as well as the amount of financial aid the student has earned. 
    • If the student has earned financial aid in excess of what was owed to the school, the financial aid advisor will notify in writing the treasurer’s office (within 5 business days of the student’s withdrawal date) the amount owed to the student.  The district treasurers’ office will issue the refund check to the student within 7 business days of receiving the written notice.

    Students Withdrawn due to Lack of Attendance

    The last day of recorded attendance becomes the student’s official withdrawal date.  The dean of students submits a student withdrawal form to the Canton City School Adult Career Tech secretary.  The secretary works with the financial aid office issue to issue an official withdrawal letter to the student using the last official date of attendance as the withdrawal date.

    Students Withdrawn due to Failing Grades

    When it is mathematically impossible for the students to bring up their grade average to a 78%, the student meets with the Dean of Students and the student is officially withdrawn from the program on that date.  The Dean of Students submits a withdraw form to the Adult Career Tech Secretary.  The secretary works with the financial aid office to issue an official withdrawal letter to the student.

    The Department of Education has developed a Return of Title IV Aid web product.  It is accessible via the main menu of the FAA Access at the CPS online website