We take the health of our students very seriously and believe that in order for our students to be successful in the classroom, they must have access to health services. Each of our buildings has an assigned registered nurse who holds a baccalaureate degree or higher. Our nurses also maintain a nursing license through the Ohio Board of Nursing, as well as a pupil services license through the Ohio Department of Education. We serve many roles in the school system with our primary focus on disease prevention, service coordination, and improving the overall health of our students, allowing them to reach their fullest academic potential.
CANTON CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
COVID-19 AT SCHOOL
What to do if...
I HAVE COVID:
1. Stay at home and away from others for 5 days from the first day of symptoms or positive test (whichever one is first).
2. After 5 days, if symptoms are improving, you may come back to school and wear a mask for an additional 5 days.
3. Notify your school nurse.
I SUSPECT I HAVE COVID:
1. Stay home and test 36 hours after your symptoms started
2. Contact your school nurse if you need help locating a test
I WAS EXPOSED TO COVID:
1. Monitor for any illness symptoms and test for Covid if you get sick
2. Wear a mask for 10 days when in public from the last day of Covid exposure
The State of Ohio Immunization Guidelines require that all students provide proof of immunization at the time of registration and as needed per Ohio Revised Code:
- Give Kids a Smile is an American Dental Association-sponsored event.
- The Stark County Dental Society is pleased to see PreK- 2nd grade students for a FREE dental screening. 2022-2023 Date TBD
- Dental Sealants is a service provided by Canton City Health Department to students in grades 2nd and 6th. Students who received treatment will get a follow-up exam in 3rd and 7th grade.
- Mobile Dentist will service grades 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 this fall. Please contact your school nurse for a permission form. Schedule as follows for the 2022-2023 school year:
- AIM 9/16
- Crenshaw 9/19 & 20
- Early College @ Lehman 9/26
- Worley 9/27
- BVA @ Mason 9/29
- Clarendon 10/5 & 6
- STEAMM 10/5
- McGregor 10/7
- PCMS 10/11
- Timken Career Center 10/11
- Patrick 10/12
- Compton 10/13
- Youtz 10/13 & 14
- Arts 10/14
- Fairmount 10/14
- McKinley 10/17, 18, 19, & 20
As required by Ohio Law, school nurses will perform health screenings each fall for students in grades: Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th. These screenings will measure vision, hearing and other Requirements of the Ohio Department of Health.
Parents will be notified of screening results only if there is a concern and a referral is made.
If your child needs medication during school hours, the following form must be completed and returned to your child’s school along with the medication to be administered.
Canton City has a no-live lice policy. If your student is found to have lice while at school, they will be sent home for treatment. They may return to school the following day once treatment has been completed. The student will be inspected upon return and if there is no live lice, they will be able to return to class.